What is CalWORKs Cash Aid?
The California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) program offers temporary cash aid, employment services and health insurance to eligible families who have children under age 19. This is California's version of the Federal Temporary Assistance to Needy Families program.
CalWORKs provides time-limited cash payments to families with children under 19 when one or both parents is absent, disabled, deceased or unemployed. If eligible for CalWORKs you automatically qualify for Medi-Cal and may also qualify for CalFresh.
- Temporary cash aid (EBT card or direct deposit)
- Welfare-to-Work services to help families become self-reliant, including:
- Child care
- Substance abuse and mental health services
- Transportation reimbursement
- Job training
- Up to 12 months of educational assistance
- Medi-Cal Health Benefits
- CalFresh (formerly Food Stamps), if eligible
County of Santa Cruz CalWORKs Cash Aid Regulations
View the County of Santa Cruz, Human Services Department, Employment and Benefit Services CalWORKs Cash Aid Policy and Procedures updated in 2012.