How do I apply?
Step 1: Attend an Orientation
The orientations provide an overview of the entire Foster Care and Adoption process and have an opportunity to meet with Social Workers and other foster and adoptive parents.
The application process to adopt is similar to that of a foster parent. In fact, in order to adopt through the county, the state of California requires that you are technically a foster parent (fost/adopt) first.
Step 2: Complete the Application Process
To receive a Licensing Application for Foster Care or Adoption after attending an Orientation, call (831) 345-2700 or e-mail us. A Resource Family Specialist can meet with you to complete the paperwork.
- Complete all required application forms.
- Complete the Livescan process.
- If you are planning to adopt, call the Licensing Unit at (831) 454-4867 to have an Adoption Livescan form mailed to you.
- Get a Home Inspection and Care Giver Assessment. A Licensing Social Worker will make a visit to inspect your home. Read the Foster Family Home Guide and/or the Manual of Policy and Procedures Foster Family Home [Title 22 Regulations, Div. 6, Chapter 9.5] for Article 1 and 2; Article 2 continued; Article 2 continued and 3; and Article 4 and 5 for a complete list of requirements.
- Get child CPR and First Aid Certification.
Step 3: Attend the Appropriate Training
P.R.I.D.E training is offered by Cabrillo College in both English and Spanish and is free of charge.