Monday, November 30, 2015

CalFresh (Food Stamps)

What is CalFresh?

The name for the California's Food Stamp Program has changed. The new name for the program is CalFresh. The name change will not change your benefits.  You do not need to turn in a new application to receive CalFresh benefits. The information you provided for the Food Stamp Program will continue to be used. It may take some time for forms and other things to change to the CalFresh name.

About CalFresh

The CalFresh Program assists low income individuals, families and households to purchase nutritional food. You do not have to be on welfare to get CalFresh benefits. There are eligibility requirements to receive CalFresh benefits, and the benefit amount is determined on the size of your family and financial need.

Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) Card

If you qualify for assistance, you will receive a plastic card called an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. You can use your EBT card at most grocery stores, convenience stores, local markets, and at some coops and farmers markets. You use the EBT card just like you would a bank debit or credit card. The EBT debit card can only be used to buy food items. 

Check your account balance, find retailers and ATMS that accept the EBT card at

CalFresh Employment and Training Program

This program provides homeless individuals who are receiving CalFresh with opportunities that lead to paid employment and self-sufficiency.